Lasagna is an Italian dish, arranged in alternate layers of wide, flat Pasta and layers of Béchamel sauce(white sauce) and cheese or tomato sauce and cheese. I tried this with both Béchamel sauce and vegetables slightly cooked in tomato sauce with tinge of Indian spices.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 45 – 50 minutes
Ingredients for Vegetable lasagna sauce
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1-2 green chilies as per taste
- 1 onion, long and thin slices
- 1 carrot, long and thin slices
- 1/2 capsicum, thin slices
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Persil
- A pinch of black pepper
- 11/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Ingredients for Béchamel sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of salt as per taste
- 1/2 tablespoon grated cheese
Ingredients for Pasta:
- 4-5 slices of wide, flat Pasta
- 6-8 thin slices of eggplant (aubergine)
- 5-6 chopped slices of beans or any green vegetable of choice
- 125 grams mozzarella
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups water
- For Vegetable curry sauce finely chop the garlic, ginger and green chilies with a chopper.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf and then the chopped garlic, ginger and green chilies mixture. Fry until they turn slightly brown.
- Add the onion, carrot and capsicum slices. Fry for another 5 minutes. Then add tomato puree and salt, Persil, black pepper and garam masala. Fry for 5 minutes until the spices are mixed well. Keep aside.
- For Béchamel sauce, heat the butter in pan. When it melts, add the flour. Fry for a minute till the flour mixes well with the butter.
- Add slowly the milk and stir at the same time; ensure that no lumps of flour are formed.
- Gradually stir on medium flame for 2 minutes. Add salt, sugar and black pepper and grated cheese.
- Heat for another 5-8 minutes at medium flame until the sauce thickens and is ready.
- For Pasta, boil 11/2 cups of water and pour in a microwave safe flat container. Add the Pasta sheets and salt to this. Close the lid and heat for another 5 minutes at 800W in microwave. Salt is added now so that the pasta does not taste flat.
- Once the pasta is done, drain the water.
- Now take a rectangular baking dish,slightly larger than the size of pasta sheet. Cover the base with wax paper
- Arrange the dish with 1 sheet of pasta. Cover the top with the vegetable tomato curry sauce and then the white sauce. Put 2-3 slices of eggplants and fresh vegetables.
- Put another sheet and repeat the above process.
- Finally cover with the last sheet and put slices of eggplants on top (no curry). You can use more sheets and layers depending on the number of people.
- Cover this with aluminum foil (this ensures that the Pasta is evenly cooked) and bake in the preheated oven at 190C/ 375F /oven mark 5.
- After 20 minutes, put mozzarella and cheese slices on the top. Cover again with the foil. After approximately 35 minutes of baking, remove the foil and allow cheese to bake completely.
- Keep checking in between to ensure cheese is not overcooked. After 50 minutes, the lasagna is ready to be served hot. Garnish with dried tomatoes.