Triphala is a powerful Ayurvedic Rasayana (Herbal elixir known to promote longevity and rejuvenation). It is essentially a mix of three powerful herbs Amlaki, Haritaki, and Bibhitaki. Triphala benefits the vital body systems such as the Immune system, Digestive System, Nervous System, and Cardiovascular System.
Triphala is known to deeply cleanse our system out of waste and toxins and significantly boost the immune system. It has powerful antioxidants to rejuvenate, inhibit inflammation, promote healthy build of body cells, and for blood purification.
Triphala Benefits and its effect on our body
Triphala’s constituents are themselves powerful herbs in Ayurveda. And the mixture develops a synergistic effect to help one balance all three Dosha – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Regular consumption of Triphala reenergizes, nourishes, rejuvenates and builds a strong immune system.
- Triphala is known to promote vision and help reduce the defects of nearsightedness and farsightedness.
- All three components inside Triphala have been individually known to produce a remarkable effect and impart glow to skin and hair.
- Triphala is most commonly known for its positive effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. This results in a good digestive system, colon cleansing, fighting constipation, and hence weight loss in a healthy way.
- Also, Triphala is used for diabetes control. Studies suggest the mechanism is through inhibition of lipid peroxidation and free radical scavenging.
- Triphala is also known to reduce bad cholesterol in the blood (LDL and triglycerides) and increase good cholesterol (HDL) levels.
- Also, it has an antibacterial effect.
- Studies show its effect against multi-drug resistant urinary tract infections, anti-caries activity, and protection against gum infections.
Modes of consumption and Caution
Triphala should be consumed in moderation with a recommended dosage of nearly 2-4 grams in powdered or tablet form when you just begin consuming it and depending on your age group.
Triphala can be consumed with lukewarm water just before the bed or early in the morning as it suits your body.
Triphala dosage can be slowly increased to two times depending on how your body reacts. Also, if one is looking to fight constipation, the dosage amount should be increased as well.
While younger should limit to 3 – 4 gram per day, elderly (65+) can consume up to 8 gram per day as well.
Side-effects of Triphala
Diarrhea, headache, gas, nausea, and tiredness could be the side-effects of consuming Triphala. It happens as Triphala helps to flush the toxins out and cleanses the body. Additionally, Triphala is known to allow energy flow down of our system.
Hence the initial effect can be difficult to handle if you are just beginning to use it or you suddenly increase the dosage. In such cases, Triphala consumption should be stopped for a couple of days and then resumed with decreased dosage.
Triphala has a cleansing effect on the digestive and supports cardiovascular systems. It should be consumed in consultation with an Ayurvedic physician in special health conditions such as pregnancy, sensitive digestive system, diabetes, or others.
Some formulations of Triphala for specific health conditions
Triphala benefits multiple body organs and has an effect on vital body systems. Hence, its consumption is recommended and modified according to the results we desire from its use. Triphala is available in the form of powder or tablets. The powdered form can be blended with other ingredients as stated below. Ayurvedic formulations also involve mixing Triphala either with some carriers such as Ghee or Honey or by directly mixing with other herbs such as Licorice. Here are some uses:
- With sugar is indicated for peptic ulcer disease.
- With hot water is indicated for constipation.
- With honey is indicated for Kapha diseases.
- With ghee is indicated for Pitta diseases.
- With rock salt is indicated for Vata diseases.
- As the powder is indicated for sensitive gums.
- As black ash is indicated for asthma.
- As a decoction is indicated for liver diseases.
- As oil is indicated for non-healing ulcers.
- As a face pack is indicated for a complexion promoter.
- With ghee and honey is indicated for eyesight promotion.