Raw Papaya is a versatile and highly nutritious addition to the kitchen. Green papaya recipes are plenty and vary according to the region and occasion!
Green papaya does not carry any special flavor and it blends well in all texture foods. This is also the reason that green papaya can be added to all parts of meals ranging from salads, soups, curries, and desserts.
Papaya has one of the highest concentrations of enzymes amongst all the fruits and vegetables. In India, it is often referred to as Amrutabhanda, meaning a storehouse of the elixir of life. Learn about the health benefits of green papaya here.
Amrutabhanda Raei – Papaya Recipes
This is one of Papaya recipes that is super easy to turnaround, highly nutritious, and quick yet healthy addition to your meals. In this recipe, we have cooked green papaya in Oriya style with fresh Mustard “Rai” paste.
Orissa is an Eastern Indian state blessed with a bounty of flora in terms of vegetables and fruits. In traditional Oriya cuisine, there is extensive use of herbs and spices to make dishes that assimilate well, are highly nourishing, and often therapeutic to body systems.
This recipe carries the goodness of Mustard and Papaya alike. It is recommended for Diabetics, Cancer patients, people suffering from digestive disorders, pregnant ladies (in small amounts), and new mothers. It is a great addition to kids’ meals as well, as Papaya just mashes up to make a yummy and flavourful side veggie.
Amrutabhanda Raei – List of Ingredients
Serves 2-3 persons
- 500g Green Papaya
- 1 Medium or Large Onion
- 1/4 cup or 12 – 15 pieces of peanuts. This can be replaced with Cashew or with Coconut cream depending upon availability and choice of ingredients. The taste would have variations accordingly.
- Half tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 1 Green chili (optional)
- 1 Red chili (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil. Mustard oil is recommended. Alternatively, use any other virgin and heat resistant fat such as Ghee or Peanut oil.
- Half teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt to taste
Amrutabhanda Raei – Method of Preparation
Time of Preparation – 10 mins, Time of Cooking – 15 mins
- Wash and peel the skin off green Papaya. Deseed and cut the papaya into small – half-inch cubes.
- Boil the Papaya cubes with salt and Turmeric powder.
- On the side, add peanuts, mustard seeds, garlic, and green chili to a grinder and make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the pan and add cooking oil to it.
- Add Mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
- Cut red chili into 2-3 pieces. Add to the pan and stir for a few seconds.
- Finely chop the onion and add it to the pan. Let it turn golden brown.
- Add boiled Papaya, mix well and let it cook for few minutes on low heat.
- Add the paste to the mix. Stir well and let it cook on low heat for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Serve hot along with boiled rice or Chapati – Indian bread.