Spinach Pasta is a delicious dinner option that is beaming with nutrients and flavor. We added pumpkin and mature cheddar to the recipe, which only added to the flavor and taste. Sweet pumpkin blends very well with spinach and helps to mask its bitter astringent taste.
This spinach pasta recipe is rich in Iron, Calcium, and Antioxidants to give you a super healthy meal. It is great for children and adults alike. Diabetics, Cancer patients, new mothers, and weight loss pursuant. Both spinach and pumpkin provide ample fiber and nutrients with almost zero calories.
Pumpkin Spinach Pasta – Versatile, Nutritious, and Delicious!
For small children, pumpkin and spinach can be blended to make a puree and added as a pasta sauce. This creamy and sweet pasta sauce will only make the little ones ask for more!
For little older kids and for adults, leave the spinach finely chopped and pumpkin into small cubes. This way of preparation has a great texture as the pumpkin will nicely melt into your mouth, while the spinach will add a good crunch to it.
We didn’t peel the skin of the pumpkin as it was fresh and soft. This also helps to keep the nutrients intact. You can also use Parmesan cheese or other mature cheese versions to replace mature cheddar.
You can also add pine nuts or walnuts to the recipe to make it richer and yummier. Nuts can also be a good option to replace the cheese and make the spinach pasta recipe vegan.
Pumpkin Spinach Pasta – List of Ingredients
Serves 4 – 5 persons
- 250 g Spinach. We took a local version of spinach, which is closer to Amaranth greens.
- 250 g of Pumpkin. We used local pumpkin, which was fresh with softer and crunchy green skin.
- 150 g of Mature Cheddar, finely grated.
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of Olive oil. Replace it other virgin oils of your choice.
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of Paprika powder or red chili flakes if you are ok with the spice levels
- 400 g wholemeal Pasta. We used a spiral and penne pasta. You can try the recipe with other versions as Spaghetti or Macaroni too.
Method of Preparation
Preparation Time – 10 mins and Cooking Time – 15 mins
- Wash and finely chop the spinach.
- Peel the garlic and finely chop.
- Wash the pumpkin and cut into small cubes. Do not peel pumpkin if the skin is immature and fresh.
- Heat the pan/skillet. Put the oil.
- Once hot, add garlic and let it turn golden brown.
- Add salt and pumpkin and mix well. Cover and let it cook on low heat for 5 – 7 mins.
- Once the pumpkin is slightly soft, add paprika powder and spinach. Mix well and let it cook for another 5-7 mins. This will be till the spinach leaves welt off and pumpkin is soft and mushy.
- For small children and toddlers, remove the paprika and replace it with oregano or basil leaves. Once the veggies are soft, close the heat and let them cool down. Blend the veggies in a food processor to make smooth pureed pasta sauce.
- Cook pasta as instructed on the packaging. Alternatively, boil 3 cups of water with 1 tablespoon of salt in it. Add pasta and let it cook till it turns soft. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Add cooked pasta to the veggies. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the pasta.
- Serve hot and enjoy!