Moringa Recipe – Super nutritious mung lentil soup!!
Moringa Mung soup is one of my favourite preparations when I am looking for super healthy foods but also being super lazy to cook anything!! Out of the multiple Moringa recipe I know, this one rocks for its taste, texture, and ease of preparation. Pack in your lunch box, have it on a rainy day, for dinner or breakfast; this soup will never disappoint you.
What’s more, it is one of the Ayurvedic preparations that works great for all body types! This soup is also a great pregnancy and lactation food, should you be beginning a new phase of your life!!
Health benefits of Moringa
As always, we begin with some of the health benefits of Moringa! You can study in detail at the link provided. However, a quick summary would be with all parts of Moringa tree being used for therapeutic and nutritional purposes. It is an exceptionally rich source of Calcium, Antioxidants, Iron, and Vitamins. Moringa also finds its use to fight Diabetes, balance hormones, as a galactagogue, improve digestion, boost brainpower, and for an excellent skin and hair!!
Health benefits of Mung beans
An Ayurvedic super food, Mung beans are great for all body types. They are a great source of micro and macro nutrients including proteins, fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. Known for their anti-inflammatory nature, regular consumption of Mung beans can also help fight chronic cardiovascular and blood sugar conditions. An excellent source of plant based proteins, Mung beans are known for their negligible fat content and super low Glycemic Index.
Soup with Mung & Moringa Recipe – Ingredients
Serves 4-5 persons
- 1 bowl of raw and uncooked whole green Mung beans
- 1 bowl of fresh Moringa leaves (cleaned and separated)
- 4 bowls of water
- 1 Medium sized Onion (fine chopped)
- 1 Medium sized Tomato (fine chopped)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (fine chopped)
- 1 Inch piece of Ginger (grated)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon coriander powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee or Cooking Oil of your choice
Soup with Mung & Moringa Recipe – Method of preparation
Time of preparation: 3-4 hours (includes time of soaking the beans)
Time of cooking: 15 mins
- Soak the Mung beans in water for 3-4 hours and then cook or pressure cook till soft. If you do not have time to soak, then just put them in pressure cooker or rice cooker and boil till soft. Normally, it should take 30-40 mins for boiling till soft without soaking and pressure cooking.
- Heat a pan. Add ghee and then Asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add garlic and ginger till it turns little brownish.
- Add onions an sauté till it turns little brown.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, corinader powder, salt, and pepper.
- Keep the heat low. Add Moringa leaves and tomato and wait for 5 mins. Moringa leaves can also be added to Mung beans while they boil and hence cooked along with.
- Add the cooked mung beans and let it be on slow heat for another 10-15 mins.
- Your soup is ready to be served! Enjoy with hot rice, bread, or just like that!!
Please leave your feedback and share this Moringa recipe with your friends and family should you like it ?