Manjishtha has the highest impact on the body tissues starting from Rasa Dhatu – Plasma Tissues, Rakta Dhatu – Blood Tissues, and Mamsa Dhatu – Muscle Tissues of the body. In Ayurveda, it is considered to be the best herb for blood purification and to relieve all disorders related to the built of toxins in the blood tissues.
- Manjishtha is known to alleviate the Kapha Dosha and Pitta Dosha through its Madhura (sweet) and Kashaya (Astringent) Rasa.
- Its Ruksha (Dry) guṇa alleviates Snigdha (Oily) guṇa of Pitta Dosha
- It pacifies the Vata Dosha in the human body. Its Guru (Heavy) Guṇa subdues Laghu (Light) Guṇa of Vata.
Mature roots, stem, and leaves of the plant are used for various therapeutic purposes in Ayurveda.
Health Benefits of Manjishtha
Manjishtha positively affects the female reproductive system, hence prescribed for menstruation disorders such as:
- Severe menstrual cramps or Dysmenorrhea
- Oligomenorrhea or irregular periods
- Amenorrhea or absence of periods
- Postpartum uterus stimulation and cleansing
- To prevent and pacify hot flashes during menopause
Improves Blood Circulation and Purifies Blood
It is prescribed for good functioning of the circulatory system. It regulates blood pressure, blood vessel constriction and also the tendency of blood to form clots.
As a blood purifier, Manjishtha improves complexion, improves skin glow, and helps prevent skin problems such as erysipelas, eczema, acne, and parasitic allergies.
- Manjishtha is effective in treating gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhea, dysentery, and edema.
- Manjishtha has a marked effect on the functioning of kidneys, spleen, and pancreas. It destroys benign and malignant tumors while regulating the actions of kidneys, spleen, liver, and pancreas.
- It is used to treat diseases such as hepatitis, herpes, and jaundice.
Vyanga is condition of hyper-melanosis of face. It may cause severe mental illness including depression. One study showed the effect of both Manjishtha and Arjuna on melisma (Vyanga). Manjishtha and Arjuna were administered as ointment (applied twice daily) and tablet (one tablet twice a day).
The study showed that 88% of patients were completely relieved after 60 days of treatment, while the remaining 12% of patients were partially relieved.
Modes of Consumption
As a decoction, powder, paste, or mixed with ghee.
- It should only be consumed under an expert’s supervision.
- It is not prescribed for pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- Excessive use of the herb can lead to severe chills in some cases.