Kapha is the physical energy of cohesion and growth
Kapha Dosha is the prime physical energy responsible for cohesion, growth, and nurturing of our physical and mental states. Physiologically, Kapha governs our built and all the fluidized movements such as fat tissue, lubricating fluids like synovial fluid in joints, the mucous secretions in the digestive system and of the respiratory system. Psychologically, Kapha Dosha governs the sense of attachment, level of patience, love, loyalty, thoughtfulness, and memory.
Patient, Loyal, and Affectionate Kapha Dosha – In Balance
A balanced Kapha Dosha is exhibited with excellent stamina, good physique, immunity to diseases, and a stable emotional state pertaining to high levels of patience, loyalty, and affection. A balanced Kapha individual is fairly methodical, have good memory level, and can be categorized as deep thinkers. Kapha Dosha’s essential characteristics are binding and building, and this can often translate into slower metabolism and hence weight gaining tendency. An imbalanced Kapha when manifests in an excess state can lead to congestion, fluid retention, sluggishness, and allergies. Kapha aggravation in the emotional state is exhibited with a stubborn or greedy attitude.
What happens when Kapha goes out of balance?
Kapha Dosha people are usually uncomfortable in damp and cold weathers, resistant to sudden changes or any change, or through the intake of cold temperature and cold natured substances. Some examples of unbalanced Kapha Dosha are:
- All respiratory and synovial fluid related health disorders such as sinusitis, nasal congestion, asthma, bronchitis, cold and cough.
- Lethargy, depression, excessive sleep, dullness, resistance to change of status quo even if the existing situation is not favorable.
- Lack of appetite, nausea, excessive salivation, indigestion, heavy and sticky stools.
- Long and slow menstrual cycles in females.
- Lymphatic congestion, edema, cold sweats, and excessive urination.
- Chronic Kapha may lead to extreme health conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, high cholesterol, stiffness in joints, and deep vein thrombosis.
- Heaviness in eyes, glaucoma, fibroid tumors, enlarged liver, and spleen.
What makes Kapha uncomfortable and unbalanced?
Kapha Dosha aggravation can happen in anybody, whether they are primarily Kapha Dosha and also in case Vata or Pitta Dosha is their prime governing energies. The basic principle of Dosha governance is that like increases like, which means if you expose yourself to cold and damp settings on the prolonged basis or intake excessive cold natured and cold temperature food, there are high chances of Kapha aggravation. Some triggers to increase Kapha are:
- Sudden or excessive exposure to cold and damp conditions and cold food
- Excessive consumption of heavy, oily, sugar, salt, and dairy
- Excessive consumption of water and water retaining fruits/vegetables
- Sedentary lifestyle, lack of stimulation, lack of physical activity, and excessive sleep
- Disproportioned meals and excessive processed food consumption
Diet and lifestyle guidelines to balance Kapha Dosha
To balance Kapha, once should practice a lifestyle that would enhance stimulation (mental and physical) and expose oneself to warm and dry conditions and foods. This can be incorporated by numerous methods such as dietary change, physical activity, regulating daily routine, meditation, external treatments of massage, and aromatherapy. Regular mental stimulation and learning new skills and adding onto more experiences
- Involving in rigorous physical activity or exercise in warm temperatures.
- Early to bed and early to rise daily routine to schedule to avoid snacking in the night and hence avoid straining a weak digestive system.
- Dietary changes and focusing on Kapha opposite characteristics such as bitter, pungent, and astringent tastes and hot, light, dry, and sharp gunas.
- Self-massage or Abhyanga with light and warm oils such as Mustard Oil, Corn Oil, or a proportioned mix of Sesame, Olive, and Coconut Oils.