Vegetable Idli with coriander chutney – Healthy breakfast recipe
This is one of the simplest and super nutritious breakfast recipes I recently learnt from my mother-in-law. Covering the colours of rainbow and majority of nutrients of the meal, it is a versatile yet wholesome option to grab for yourself or offer to your fussy kids!
Idlis are steamed pancakes made up of fermented batter from rice and lentils and an essential snack/meal from South of India. Growing up in North India, I got to taste these at a much later stage of life and absolutely fell in love with the texture and taste it offered. And now when I got the opportunity to learn this recipe, I could not stop myself but share my love for this wonderful and delicious food.
Vegetable Idli Recipe Ingredients
For 6 servings/people
1 cup of peeled urad dal/black lentils
2 cups of rice
1 cup of grated carrots
1 cup of grated beetroot
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Salt to taste
Small bunch of curry leaves
Pinch of baking soda
Coriander chutney recipe ingredients
1 cup of coriander leaves
1 teaspoon of chana daal/bengal gram
1 teaspoon of peeled urad daal/black lentils
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon of tamarind paste or replace with 2 small lemons
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of desiccated coconut/shredded fresh coconut
small piece of ginger
2-4 tablespoon water
Vegetable Idli process to make
- Wash and soak rice and lentils in water (2 times that of the mix) for about 6-7 hours.
- Grind them in a mixer and leave overnight for fermentation.
- In morning, add mustard seeds, grated carrots and beetroot, salt, and curry leaves to get a uniform batter.
- Add pinch of baking soda for the softness and fluffiness of the idlis
- Keep the mix for another 15 minutes
- Start greasing the idli mold and placing batter in the mold.
- Int he meanwhile put 1 cup of water in the steamer, bring it to boil, place the full mold inside and cover.
- Check with a toothpick or fork after 20 minutes. If it comes out clean then Vegetable Idlis are ready to be served.
Coriander Chutney process to make
- Roast the bengal gram and black lentils till they turn slightly brown. Rinse in water and soak for 10 minutes in water to soften.
- Add all the ingredients in the grinder/mixer and run till the paste is smooth.
- Taste and add salt/cumin powder as required.
- Ready to be served.