Mango salad is a super healthy and delicious side that can add taste and nutrients to your meals. Green mangoes are available in abundance before summers strike in India. These green mangoes turn into yellowish and orangish super delicious king of fruits when summers arrive in full swing.
Traditionally green mangoes are pickled, turned into marmalades and chutneys, and added to salads and curries. Slightly ripe mangoes are also added to salads, curries, and into jams. And ripe mangoes consumed as fruits as the shelf life is only for few days.
Green Mango Nutritional Value
A cup of green mango contains significant dietary micronutrients. It contains only 100 calories, low amounts of carbohydrates, high fibre content (12% of daily requirement), and significant amounts of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Provided below are nutrients in 1 cup of green mango:
- 25% of your daily requirement of Vitamin A and 75% of Vitamin C. Both of these Vitamins work as powerful antioxidants. They boost the functioning of our immune system and metabolism in a significant manner.
- Nearly 10% of Vitamin K and Vitamin E respectively.
- Nearly 10% of B Vitamins including Folate, Thiamin, and Riboflavin.
- Nearly 10% of Potassium and Copper with small amounts of Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, and Calcium.
Mango Salad Recipe
This green mango salad recipe is a quick turn around, only requiring 10 minutes or less. It can be customised to your taste. Green mangoes carry a crunch and tangy taste that blends very well with chili, onions, and garlic, and jaggery.
Slightly ripe mangoes are usually sweeter and pulp is softer. Blend some tomatoes, lime, and jaggery to them along with onions, garlic, and chili, and you will get a yummy mango salsa!
Mango Salad Recipe Tips and Variations
If green mango is fully raw, then you wouldn’t need to add any lime and tomatoes to the recipe. Your mango salad would be tangy and crunchy on its own. A combination of jaggery and balsamic vinegar would go very well for this salad recipe.
Amount of jaggery, lime, salt, and chili is actually dependent on personal taste. We have given standard amounts that go well for slightly ripe mango, which is sweeter in taste. One handy tip would be to add small quantities as given in the recipe direction. You can then modify or add more according to your own preferences.
To make the salad tangy, we have added lime to it. You can also replace lime with vinegar. Also, if you choose balsamic vinegar, then jaggery isn’t needed as balsamic vinegar is usually sweeter than normal grain vinegar.
Soy sauce is again optional. It adds slightly bitter savoury flavour to the whole salad and goes well. If you do not have it in the pantry or do not like its taste, then simply go with rock salt.
Sweet and Sour Green Mango Salad
- Chopping Board
- 2 Medium Green Mango Slightly Ripe
- 1 Small Onion
- 4 Twigs Fresh Coriander Can be replaced with couple of Basil leaves
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Jaggery Powder Or a small piece of Jaggery
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce optional
- 1 Medium Tomato Optional
- 1 Small Green Chili Optional based on your taste preference
- 2 Small Green Lime Can be replaced with 1 tsp Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt To taste. Not required if you are adding soy sauce.
- Peel and finely chop green mango and onion. Keep aside.
- Finely chop the coriander and tomato. Keep aside.
- Pound green chili and garlic cloves using mortar and pestle or finely chop them.
- Mix salt, jaggery, soy sauce, and lime juice in a separate bowl.
- Mix all the chopped ingredients together. Stir well.
- Add the dressing to the salad mix. Toss it all well so that everything is mixed properly and dressing is sticking to the veggies.
- Serve green mango salad as a starter. Goes well in dinner or lunch.