Trying to conceive? Ayurvedic herbs and wisdom for fertility!
The ancient healing system Ayurveda teaches us the importance of the interrelationship between mind, body and spirit in order to achieve optimal fertility health. It places great importance on fertility and the birth of a child.
Infertility occurs when a person’s reproductive tissue or Shukra dhatu, remains bereft of nutrition. This can be caused due to poor digestion and because of certain toxins in the body. Some of the other causes of infertility according to Ayurveda are anxiety, depression, insomnia, and excessive spicy and salty food.
Ayurveda emphasises to focus on body and mind for health and fertility
- MIND: Get rest, especially during menstruation (for women). Manage anxiety, depression and poor sleep because these are damaging to fertility health
- BODY: Wear loose clothes. Avoid excessive heat and use cooling techniques like foot baths, showers, or sprays with cool water to bring the body temperature down.
- ATTITUDE: According to Ayurveda, attitude and nature of the parents will pass on to the child.
Ayurvedic Methodologies and Herbs for higher Fertility
In Swedanam the person is made to perspire for getting rid of impurities through sweat glands. This therapy is very helpful in curing vata dosha and can be done either by external application of heat or through a heat chamber with medicated steam.
Vamanam is therapeutic vomiting. Waste products are eliminated through the upper gastrointestinal tract. Vamanam is a continuation of the Snehakarma and Swedanakarma (collectively known as Purvakarma) done the previous day. The patient is given Kapha-increasing foods. Vomiting is triggered by giving a paste of Madana Phala (mountain pomegranate), along with Yashtimadhu (liquorice) powder, rock salt and honey mixed with milk would be given. Within a short time, the patient feels nauseous and starts vomiting. All impure accumulated Kapha will come out. Vomiting is stopped when the pitta or yellow coloration is seen, which is considered the correct symptom.
Banyan Tree Bark
- Female infertility- Take dry banyan tree roots in shade. Grind them and make a fine powder. Take 1/2 teaspoon of this powder with milk for 3 consecutive nights after menses every month.
- Conception promotion– Take leaf buds of Banyan tree with water for improving conception chances.
- Premature ejaculation, watery sperm- Dry tender leaf shoots in shade. Make powder of this and take 1 teaspoon every morning with milk. Take few drops of Banyan latex with misri.
- Sexual weakness- Fry small piece of Hing in ghee. Mix this with 1/2 teaspoon of Banyan latex. Take every morning.
- Ashwagandha helps in keeping the reproductive organs strong and healthy. It regulates hormones, improves psychological and physical stress, and keeps your reproductive system working optimally. It can be taken as a tonic or oral herbal remedy.
- Ashwagandha has been shown to improve the function of the thyroid gland, which directly affects female fertility through the regulation of reproductive hormones. A healthy thyroid typically means a healthy reproductive system as well.
- Many people experience daily stress and anxiety. Ashwagandha helps to calm the mind and balance mood. It is helpful for a proper sex life.
It is a reverred Ayurvedic herb for female reproductive health and overall well being. It is also known as a galactagogue and an adaptogen to activate body’s energy systems.
- Shatavari is known to reduce the symptoms, restore hormonal imbalances and improve chances of conception. Consumption of this herb can help improve follicular maturity and stabilise irregularities in the menstrual cycle.
- Shatavari improves the production of white blood cells that help to reduce the inflammation, absorb the harmful toxins and waste material from the bloodstream and help the body to gear up for reproduction.
- Cervical mucus is responsible for helping the sperm get through the female reproductive tract and meet the egg. Shatavari contains mucilage that protects the mucous membranes of the cervix and acts as a tonic for it.
Vidarikand is a reverred galactagogue Ayurveda. It increases breast milk production by directly tonifying rasa dhatu and stanyavahasrotas (lactation). It provides nourishment with essential micronutrients and energy to the new mother post delivery.
It is also known to help improve voice quality and singers in earlier days use to swear by Vidarikand to maintain their Raga levels.
Kapikacchu (Mucuna pruriens)
It is for men. Kapikacchu is rich in antioxidants and reduces oxidative damage to sperm by preventing disruption in the membrane integrity of sperms. It has aphrodisiacal properties and is beneficial in oligozoospermia (insufficient sperm cells in the semen). Treatment with Kapikacchu has been shown to increase sperm count.
Gokshura – Tribulus Terrestris
Gokshura is for men. It is a reverred Ayurvedic herb for rejuvenation and to treat health disorders related to kidney. Gokshura is also known to increase testosterone levels, hence help build muscles and increase sex drive. The herb also falls into the category of adaptogens that help trigger energy systems of the body and relieve stress.
Herbs to boost Fertility
|Boosts fertility; alleviates symptoms of premenstrual syndrome; regulate irregular menstrual cycle and heavy bleeding|
Boosts libido; regulate hormones and improves the health of egg
Nourishes reproductive organs
Excellent source of calcium, magnesium and Iron, strengthens the uterus
Nourishes reproductive and adrenal systems; prevents birth defects and aids in implantation and cell division
Hormone balancer; Nervine; aphrodisiac; nourishing herb
Balances irregular menstrual cycle; nourish reproductive system; boosts fertility
Fertility booster; blood purifier
Promotes healthy menstrual cycle and help in correcting recurrent miscarriages
|Saw Palmetto|| |
Nourishes reproductive system; boosts fertility