Daliya is a wholesome cereal form made up of crushed wheat. It is made by grinding the wheat into pieces of size 0.5 mm or less while keeping the husk intact. Hence, it carries all the nutritional wealth including B Vitamins, Proteins, Fibre, and Minerals. In India, Daliya is considered to be one of the best wheat forms for children. With its high fiber content and hence benefits such as low GI value and digestive function improvement, it has gained attention as a health food for Diabetics and for people looking to Lose Weight.
Daliya – Wheat Porridge – Modes of Consumption
Daliya blends well with milk or veggies and it can be turned into a dessert or a savory meal per your choice. It does not require a lot of cooking, hence meal preparation time with it is often short and easy. Here are some ideas.
- For children, it is often mixed with little jaggery, milk, and spices such as cardamom, saffron, or fennel seeds and offered to them as breakfast.
- To make a savory meal, add vegetables or lentils to the daliya along with spices and herbs of your choice.
- Similar to quinoa, daliya can also be consumed as a salad after boiling it and mixing it with veggies and proteins such as paneer or tofu.
- Daliya when mixed and cooked along with quinoa results in a wonderful texture that is a blend of mushy and scattered.
Nutrition and Health Benefits
It is a rich source of Vitamin B1, Fibre, and Phosphorus. It is a good source of Vitamin B3, Vitamin C, and Magnesium.
- It helps with weight loss and tones the body.
- Provides with B Vitamins for a healthy nervous system and mental health.
- Supports digestive system health, relieves constipation, and feeds the gut microbiome.
- Low GI, balances blood sugar levels and supports Diabetic patient’s health.
- Lowers Cholesterol and supports heart health.
- Ideal for children as it is easy to consume and digest. Carries high nutrition value with proteins, minerals, and vitamins.
- Supports bone health for its high phosphorus and magnesium content
Sweet Beetroot Daliya – Toddler Recipes – List of Ingredients
This is a delicious sweet daliya recipe that is loved by children and adults alike. It is full of flavor, nutrition, and creamy in texture. This recipe is a quick turnaround, one-pot meal, and requires very basic preparation. It is rich in Iron, Calcium, and healthy fats for a growing child.
Serves 4-3 persons
- 1 cup raw daliya
- 1 medium sized beetroot
- 1 medium-sized carrot
- 1/4 cup grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup milk or coconut milk
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or equivalent amount of jaggery.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
Sweet Beetroot Daliya – Toddler Recipes – Method of Preparation
Time of Preparation – 10 mins, Time of Cooking – 15 mins
- Finely grate the beetroot, carrot, and coconut in a food processor.
- Pound the jaggery into smaller pieces.
- Heat the pan and put ghee in it. We used pressure cooker. You can also use rice cooker for this recipe.
- Lightly roast the daliya for 5 mins in the cooker.
- Add fennel seeds, grated beetroot and carrot and mix well.
- Add jaggery, coconut, milk, and water. Mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker and let 2-3 whistles come before closing. If using rice cooker, let the mix cook fully on a setting for soft rice. If using a pan, let the mix cook on low-medium heat for 20-30 mins. You may need to add more water for a pan.
- Amount of water and time of cooking will vary with the cooking vessel with pressure cooker requiring least amount of water and cooking time and pan requiring the most of both.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Add some more milk to the porridge when serving to children. This will soften the porridge further and make it more creamy.