Banana flower is not only extremely nutritious but has medicinal value when it comes to considering its health benefits. It is packed with tonnes of insoluble fibre, essential minerals, antioxidants, and proteins should you be wondering about cooking this beautiful work of nature. Banana Flower is also considered a galactagogue with its health benefits ranging for your whole term from pregnancy to lactation. It is also an essential home remedy for menstrual pains and unusual bleeding.
With its high Magnesium and Iron levels, it is a great natural resource for somebody suffering from cramps, anaemia, or low energy levels. It can also help control the blood sugar levels and hence an essential diabetic food too!
While it is a little cumbersome to clean and prepare banana flower, I am sure its health benefits and of course its super delicious crunchy and nutty taste would only motivate you to try your hands on this delicacy!
Banana Flower peanut butter curry recipe
A very popular Filipino recipe, I have learnt this preparation from my helper, who is an excellent cook and loves to explore new cuisines.
- Banana Flower
- 2 Small Eggplants
- 1 bunch of long beans
- 3 small Bok Choy
- 2 table spoons Peanut Butter (Recipe below for Peanut Butter)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of water for the curry
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric/curry powder
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 tea spoon black pepper
- Clean Banana Flower, cut its softest parts, and soak in water for some time to prevent discoloration. An excellent video below detailing banana flower cleaning process.
- Now pressure cook the banana flower so that it turns soft.
- Along side prepare peanut butter by roasting 12-15 peanuts on medium heat. Add 1 tea spoon sugar and 1 tea spoon salt in it, and grind to result into paste.
- Cut the vegetables in medium/small size.
- Heat the wok, add oil, and then pressure cooked banana flower.
- Add salt and turmeric and let is cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Add rest of the vegetables, peanut butter, and water.
- Steam till vegetables are cooked.
- Season with black pepper and serve with rice/bread.