Amaranth leaves (Chaulai ka Saag) and lentils soup recipe is one of those super healthy and super tasty soups that is ultra rich in Iron, proteins, and antioxidants. And as always it is super easy to make a quick turn around to fit your busy lifestyle.
As a vegetarian, I always struggled to stay up with my iron levels. Learning about iron rich foods and trying out iron rich recipes was always important and it became even more critical when I was expecting.
In my first pregnancy, I tried to take Iron supplements after my Doctor’s suggestion but it only led to digestive issues and hence I stopped and looked for alternatives with iron rich foods. This is when I started to experiment with various permutations and combinations of ingredients that would be delicious yet nutritious.
Health Benefits of Amaranth Leaves – Iron-rich Foods
- Amaranth leaves (Chaulai ka saag in Hindi) are a nutrition powerhouse and stand along with highly revered Kale in terms of their nutrient content. It is a superfood with all the essential ingredients for health.
- A high mineral content such as Iron, Manganese, Copper, and Calcium leads to the balancing of electrolytes in the body and boosts up mineral levels naturally.
- High fiber content of Amaranth leaves aids in digestion and promotes weight loss, in fact, they form part of the essential Ayurvedic dietary regime during digestive health issues.
- They are also able to control cholesterol levels and also help in controlling hypertension.
- Apart from being a top-rated iron-rich food, they are also a great food option for Diabetics.
- Amaranth leaves are quite easily available in the Indian subcontinent, Mediterranean region, and in South America.
Health Benefits of Lentils – Iron-rich foods
An excellent source of plant protein, lentils also form part of healing foods. Their ability to manage blood sugar levels and cholesterol makes them a great food option for people suffering from diabetes and hypertension. In addition, lentils boast high fiber content making them go easy on our digestive system while providing an ample amount of proteins.
Lentils also make in the list of Iron-rich foods. They also contain ample folate and magnesium, making them a great food option during pregnancy and for children.
Amaranth Leaves and Lentils Soup – Ingredients
Serves: 3-4 persons
- 1 bunch of Amaranth leaves (red, green, or mix as is available in your vicinity)
- 1-2 bowls of lentils or a mix of moong and lentils
- 1 bowl of chopped onions
- 3-4 garlic pieces
- 1/2 bowl of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1-2 teaspoon of Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 fine chopped green chili (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon ghee
- Pinch of Asafoetida
Amaranth Leaves and Lentils Soup – Method of Preparation
Time of preparation: 10-15 mins
- Clean and wash the Amaranth leaves. Fine chop the leaves and keep aside.
- Rinse the lentils in water and keep aside
- Put the pressure cooker or pan on the stove and add ghee.
- Once the ghee is heated a little, add asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- One the mustard seeds start to crackle, add garlic till it is a little brown. Add Onions and chilli as well till onions become a little brown.
- Add lentils, amaranth leaves, and tomatoes.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker then add 2 times water to that of lentils. If cooking in pan then add 4 times water to that of lentils.
- Add turmeric and salt and let the mix boil till lentils are soft and about to dissolve in water.
- Mix well and you are all set to go. Enjoy the soup with Roti or Rice or just like that.